Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Prolonging the Agony

You know that sinking feeling you get when you realize an artist has gone the wrong direction with their music? I was reminded of this last week when my friend Steve asked me if the Strokes second album was any good, to which I replied it had been very disappointing. Somehow they got all wrapped up in the drugs and the girls and forgot what made them so interesting in the first place – their music. It happens a lot, and to a great many more talented bands than the Strokes. Often, they never recover.

It’s not just music either. There’s an axiom that states that every great talented x has a primetime during when they have their best production. It happens with basketball players and theoretical physicists, so it shoudn’t surprise us when it happens to musicians. Of course for some musicians primetime is a single song. In the case of Men Without Hats or Big Country, mercifully so.

The best move is to die before a slide can occur, ala Mozart, the only problem being that you no longer produce anything and your catalog becomes stale. On the other hand, you can lead a long productive life as a musician and eventually it will still seem stale, e.g. Haydn. Not that Haydn was a bad composer but when you start numbering your symphonies in the hundreds maybe it’s time to hang up the quill. I mean, how many versions of the “The Clock” symphony can you hear and still view it as fresh?

For mediocre musicians there’s an even greater risk of not knowing when to quit. This leads to what I call prolonging the agony. We don’t tend to view the composers of antiquity as having needed to stop sooner, otherwise they wouldn’t be great enough to be remembered in the first place, but what about Weezer? They just need to end the suffering already. Pop music is rife with examples. For instance I might say the top 10 artists on the charts should definitely all quit, and that’s without even knowing who any of them are.

Ah, but without the chaff could there be any wheat? Probably not. It’s only by the mediocrity of the many that we recognize the excellence of the few. How would we view Roy Orbison if not for Bobby Darin, The Stooges if not for Grand Funk Railroad, or Patti Smith if not for Patty Smyth? There’s much to be thankful for in this regard, not the least of which is that while most people are busy idolizing some pop phenom they can leave me and my esoteric music tastes the fuck alone.

There is another path to prolonging the agony, by which musicians who were brilliant together decide to go solo, often with disastrous results. The only band to have any success whatsoever with this were the Beatles, and I only grudgingly concede that. Though Lennon and McCartney were both brilliant songwriters, once they split we were forced to listen to their wives sing, so I’d call it a wash.

Worse examples abound. Peter Gabriel had a reasonable solo career, but Genesis’ break-up meant we had to endure Phil Collins. Music karma will never forgive that bastard for the damage he’s inflicted. Snoop Dogg was never as good without Dr. Dre, Perry Ferrell without Dave Navarro, and Peaches without Herb. Just kidding on that last one.

The only thing worse than bad solo albums is when they all tank but the band members still hate each other. This leads to that ultimate musical Frankenstein monster - the supergroup. Only the brilliant mind of a record company executive could come up with the likes of Mike & the Mechanics, Power Station, or the Traveling Wilburys. It’s not that supergroups always suck, it’s just that it’s really hard to capture the original magic.

If this doesn’t work out I suppose there’s always the reunion tour. Of course I’m long tuned out by then. I just don’t understand how anyone can get excited about paying over $100 to go see a geriatric Mick Jagger prance about on stage. Maybe it was cool the first three reunion tours, but they should have a little self respect and hang it up already. There are a lot worse things than being rich and old. You could just be old like the rest of us.

2 comments:

jgunnink said...

Once I had finished this article, I totally thought of the Police. I think your comments are spot on.

It's telling that Stewart Copeland went on to do interesting soundtrack work on movies and TV, and Sting went on to do "Bring On The Night". Man I hated that stuff, and lost all respect for Branford Marsalis in the process.

My favorite Police song is "So Lonely". Andy Summers guitar work on that song is just so awesome. He is the other reason Sting shouldn't have gotten a big head.

Oh well, what can you do. If Sting's idea of music is to sing the theme song to Robin Hood with Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart, he can have it. Just don't expect me to care.

Anonymous said...

This is Uncle Matty (even though I'm listed as 'anonymous' (I forgot my login, eh)). I'm trying to catch up on my Jafus readings, and I'm now realizing how prolific you have become dere, Jafus! I'm proud of you!

Digging up an old thread, I just wanted to say that I think the one marginally good solo song that Sting did was 'If you love somebody, set them free.' I think it was one song that had a not-so-shitty contribution from Branford b/c it wasn't too cutesy, and Kenny Kirkland's part was pretty nice. At the time it was released, I ate that album up, but in retrospect it was a pretty meandering and fluffy piece of...work, and I now agree with Wynton's criticisms of his bro for hooking up with Sting (not to mention Jay Leno).

Stewart Copeland is a genius, and his ego never raged out of control like Sting's. I also believe he's a far superior musician compared to Sting, who may have more charisma or whatever. If you want to hear some good early Police, check out 'The Police Live,' which was released in 2003 and contains 2 discs. Disc 1 is a 1979 concert in Boston and it's a pared down, raw collection of their older, more punk songs. Disc 2 has a bunch of lame back up singers, and it's from a 1983 concert in Atlanta. At that point, Sting was in love with himself, and the set is less genuine than the earlier one.

I've been listening to some of the free stuff on ITunes, and I've been grooving on the Strokes ("Is this It"). Somehow I never paid them much attention, but I freakin' love this album. Too bad it sounds like they went thru the motions on their second album.